Monday, August 06, 2007

The Tour

The title of this post should say it all and bring everyone's feelings out about the Tour de France, which makes this post totally unnecessary, but hey, let me rant. Now, before I continue my little rant here, let me just clarify a few things.
1) I know some people didn't watch it because of the state of the tour in recent years.
2) I just finished watching the tour this past Saturday, a week late, thanks DVR.
3) I did read and hear in the news the daily reports on the doping and allegations and such, and expulsions.
4) I watched the tour keeping all those reports out of my mind and routing for whoever I wanted till the incident happened "in my world" which was when I finally watched it.
So, I liked Rasmussen. I was routing for him, he seemed superhuman, until he was kicked out for lying where he was. I know he lied which is awfully suspicious, but I like to think he's innocent (I feel the same about Landers). It's just my trusting nature that I like to think everyone is good and no one would lie.
Then there's Vinokourov. He also seemed superhuman, crashing like that, then winning the mountain stage and the time trial. Did he really think he was going to test negative? Was it running through his head on the podium that he will be tested and probably will get caught?
The tour made all the cyclists sign a pledge not to take drugs. WOW! They signed a pledge! Bid whoop. What is that really going to do? Like they didn't know the rules before. Like a smoker is going to read the side of a pack of cigarettes and say OMG these cause cancer, I'm going to quit now.
Professionals say that everyone in professional cycling uses drugs or transfusions or whatever. At what point do you give up on them? I like watching them, but I get so disgusted when they cheat. They know the rules, just play inside of them. Don't go out and try and find the new doping technique that they can't test for yet. Just race.
I could go on and on just b*tching, but it will just become repetitive and everyone knows what I mean by this point anyways. So here you go. Post your comments, your rants, your objections to the utopian world that I live in (in my head), if you want.
Anyways, just go out and ride and have a good time.

1 comment:

Forty Oz2freedom said...

I dunno... I used to think Lance was a hero, then Landis too. I still think Floyd was framed, and Lance was superhuman.
But, after all the bs last year, I got so disgusted that I didn't watch this year's tour.

Mostly cause it's the only event that even makes the news in the US, and helps perpetuate the stereotype that riding a bike is for skinny white guys in tights. Sheesh. No one wants to watch that. Oh, the other reason I didn't watch it is because I was out riding my bike. Heh.

But compared to other sports? I've got to say cycling has less doping. Barry Bonds and his steroids and Vick and Ricky Williams (oops.. wrong kind of doping)

Well, anyway... Last night I rode my bike to get some tostitos at the mini-mart, and was yelled at three times. Well, I went to the minimart and they didn't have any, then up route 2 to oatleys and htey didn't have any, then over to stop and shop. Anyhow.. the people that yelled: Twice from the passenger seat of pickuptrucks festooned with NASCAR stickers, BOTH idiots had the same thing to say.... "Go LANCE!!!"... then they laughed hysterically. WOw... Don't know how much Bud you had to guzzle to think a guy riding on a beatup mtbike in oil stained cutoffs and a "Dumb and Dumber" George W Bush t shirt looks like Lance.. but.. Hey.... you just *had* to scream it out at me. I'm sure you do that sort of thing every single day.
THe other guy that yelled? Well, also in a pickup truck, speeding by at 50mph on 102 on my way to Stop and Shop... He yelled "Get out of the way!!!". As if my riding on the generous (*NOT*) 2 foot strip of pavement on the side of that Widow-Maker of a f'ing road is something I *want* to do.. and, like I'm impeding the progress of your P.O.S truck. Seriously. WTF.

Anyhow.. this comment is getting long enough to be a post, so i'll end it here. But, remind me to post the rest of this someday. Key words
"Farm Bill or Fuel Bill", "Burning Ethanol in your SUV is retarded", and of course "Not raising CAFE standards?WTF??@!?!?"

the end. -40