Tuesday, February 28, 2006

iPod Crackin



My ipod died last weekend...(read about my trauma here)

Instead of replacing it I decided to fix this one. I've been wondering about the internal workings of the ubiquitous little white machines for a long time so I decided to perform my own surgery. The hardrive crashed and since I had to open the case anyway I decided to upgrade the battery while I was in there.

I ordered a new hardrive here, for 100 bucks, and a battery here for 50. The hard drive was the same size as the original, the battery 2x as big as the standard 4G battery. Supposedly I could have upgraded to a 30gig hd in the same form factor, but I couldn't find any one who had upgraded battery and their hardrive, so I chose longer runtime.

Here is the case opened, the hd is on the right, and the battery the lower left:



After replacing the battery and hard drive you have to plug the ipod into your computer to run the Updater software to format the hd, and load the software.

Here it is afterwards... Whoooo Hooooo!.



Now it will only take about 12 hours to load 17 gigs of music back on the ipod... USB 1.1 sucks. I've gotta get a real computer... one with USB 2.0.

By the way.. after seeing the guts of the ipod I'm amazed it survived my abuse as long as it had (mtbiking, snowboarding, fishing, road trips, many spilled beers etc). Maybe the aftermarket case(s) I use helped it last as long as it did.. but that's a post for another time.....

No comments: