Monday, February 20, 2006

They'll drop again soon enough

Wouldn't it figure.

It has been a really mild winter this year. So mild that it is the first time people who live on islands in the Great Lakes region can remember the lakes being free of ice mid winter...

It is with that in mind that I agreed to join my brother in a penguin plunge to raise money for the Special Olympics. I mean really- how bad could it be?


Oh. That bad. The week before the event, the weather turned from mid-40's to... below zero...


I should have figured that this was not such a good idea when I looked out and saw people in survival suits and a rescue diver IN THE WATER and ready to pull people out.



Okay- so it really was not a big deal at all. I have jumped in icy water plenty of times before, and knowing it was for a good cause (and aided by my good friend, Mr. Brandy) made it even easier. So- without further ado- evidence of me searching out the deep water:





And yes, I was wearing a speedo underneath the regular swim suit- but learned that my parents and sister-in-law were there with cameras and decided against going for the 'red cap and a speedo' maneuver. No one needs pictures of me kicking the Manberry Pudding Pack (or if you prefer: Daytona Dong Sarong). I mean no one- so turn 'em over...

3 comments:

Bald Boy Wonder said...

Good thing you left the shorts on. With water that cold, people would have questioned if you are post-op or just have it tucked away.

Forty Oz2freedom said...

Holy Crap!!!!! I've always (by always I mean never) wanted to jump in icy cold freezing water. That is seriously insane.

Crayons taste like purple said...

Big Jim and the Twins ALWAYS leave the crowd speechless. The shrinkage factor merely brings Jim into 'average' territory...

Actually- the speedo worked well to keep me bell end close and warm. I would recommend it for any ice water diving expeditions.

We can organize a Parris Brook polar dip anytime you want, 40!