Saturday, April 01, 2006

SS Redux

Working on bike repairs is a good time. The only thing I am not a big fan of doing is building up forks (yeah the elastomer ones are a piece of cake- I mean real forks) and fine tuning the shifters.

I was kind of excited to get to play with taking apart my new *to me* SS and changing the drive train. But- it is more fun to go through it with a knowledgeable party- especially when dinner is being served...

So, after a nice dinner of IPC, rice and beer prepared by 40oz and 40oz's wife, we got to work in 40's garage:



Things were going well, parts were flying, beverages were emptying, music was playing... Then the new chain decided not to cooperate for a bit... But- after deciding that I can never get a flat rear tire or change the rear tire itself ever again considering what a pain in the rump it is to get everything adjusted with the disk brakes: all was fixed.



Now the Bianchi steel SS no-suspension beast is ready for the trails! Well- as soon as I put a couple of 'Andre the Giant has a Posse' stickers on it, that is...

3 comments:

Forty Oz2freedom said...

Wow... that is probably the 2nd pic you've taken of my me where I wasn't flipping you off.

That is a bad-@ss SS for sure.

That rear wheel with the disk brake was certainly finicky... I can certainly see going with an eccentric bottom bracket to tension the chain instead of a rear facing dropouts... man o man that is going to suck when you get a flat.

Crayons taste like purple said...

Yeah. No flats allowed...

Forty Oz2freedom said...

Two words for you:
Mister Tuffy.

Seriously, I would slap one on that back tire. I used to use them, they add a bit of weight but the hassle might be worth it.