Thursday, April 20, 2006

I freaking hate E$$on/Mobil.

With a passion.

They have yet to pay for the Valdez disaster, which severley affected the environment and the livelhood of Alaskan fishermen. In fact- they recently went to court pleading to have the restitution amount reduced to the paltry sum they have already paid. I bet they have paid more in legal fees than they have spent cleaning up their sludge...

They lie to Congress about their involvement in the energy task force (hmmm... wonder why they were not under oath...). Yet another maddening example of the lack of influence voters have on our own government and the incredible power wielded by the corporate/military complex. Next on the agenda- Chimpy McFlightsuit is going to auction off our national heritage in the form of the largest land auction... directly to the mining/timber concerns at bargain prices! Whoo-hoo!

They shamelessly gouge the US consumers. Though really- expensive gas, as stupid as it sounds- I am not all that upset about. Reaching the price point Europeans pay is about the only way meaningful conservation will occur. Of course that means billions more dollars going to people who don't need it or are irresponsible with it; and rising gas costs will probably mean the implosion of our own auto manufacturing concerns who can't seem to see past the end of their nose on the gas issue. I would love to buy an American car someday but if MPG were accurately measured no US car producer would pass our own lax CAFE standards...

And these oil companies are protected the whole time because they know who their sugar daddy is and never forget to give him/her frequent campaign money rubdowns. The entry level to buy influence is too high for my salary...

Now This: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-court/exxons-earth-day-10-mi_b_19468.html

That's right. Exxon/Mobil made 36 billion fleecing all of us and spent only 10 million on exploring alternative energy. That is one fortieth the BONUS they gave that sack of crap Lee Raymond. Seriously- a $400 million dollar BONUS on top of the 300 million plus he made last year...

Sorry- I'll try and keep this rant in line with the blog's purpose by saying that it is one more reason to ditch the car and ride the bike. Hell, I have not driven my car to work in years...

Don't forget- Earth Day cleanup Saturday. Be there or be... asleep? Doing something else? Okay- I am bad at this whole peer pressure thing.

1 comment:

Sleepy Gonzalez said...

Way to crack the seal on that one buddy. I'd post my own stuff like that if I thought I could articulate my concerns in an informed way. I went to the Manchester Earth Day event at Veteran's park and I had two contradictory thoughts running through my head. 1) Man, what a low-rent event with a low-rent turnout (the only people there were members of City Year and AmeriCorps, and supporters of the band that was supposed to play). 2) Perhaps this is because there is a decent amount of awareness out there such that people feel as if they don't need a specific date to remind them to recycle and not buy Hum-Vs etc., etc. I know for me, it's hard to feel passionate about Earth Day when every day is an exercise in Earth Day, at least to the degree which is reasonably acceptable. Way to rock the rant, Crayons!