Friday, March 31, 2006

End of 95.5 WBRU (?)

I was away this week for work. Tonight I was driving home down 495 in Massachusetts. As I got close to RI I switched off the ipod and turned on the radio... as I hit the #1 preset in my car I heard MC Hammer..something you would *never* hear on WBRU. WTF!?!? I messed with the knob... still MC Hammer. ARG. Then... some annoying announcer came on the air and said "You're listening to Buddy FM!", and then played... *gulp*... Duran Duran. I mashed off the radio in shock.

This is incomprehensible...inconceivable... that WBRU has gone off the air?!?!?!

BRU was(?) the last privately owned "Alt" Rock station in Providence. Mostly student run, owned by Brown University it was the station I grew up listening to, going to their summer concert series blah blah blah. It was one of the things I loved about living in RI.. being able to listen to BRU whenever... They had been around for 36 years and always were playing bands you've never heard before.

I did some searching and found this article... Maybe it's for real?

Please tell me this is a very sick April Fool's Joke?!?

(btw, wbru.com is down too)

1 comment:

Crayons taste like purple said...

Glad you posted on this- means that I don't have to. I lost my shiznit on this all freaking night (ask mt wife; also ask GUDG and his wife) about this. It is the only radio station (besides NPR- which lets face it, serves as negative 6 on on the street cred meter) I listen to. Got pissed off and drank too much BRU all night b/c of it.

Hearing reports on TV (and we ALL know how true TV is- look at Faux News!) made me believe this was real, but now after Googling for the story and with the proximity to April 1st, I have to believe it is not true.

Yes, corporate AmeriKKKa owns the US; no freaking question they care diddly squat about you and me. And Yes, they are blood sucking pieces of crap, but no way they are going to take the only decent thing on the airways away from us.

True- the DJ's on WBRU ALWAYS are bad- but come on, it is college radio in one form or another which makes it water under the bridge. *he's so little- but he tries SO big!* The sales position is still on Craig's List and they BETTER freaking come on the air tomorrow and tell us all it was one incredibly sick, perverse, awesome joke.

I can find no mention of Buddy FM on Google that is not a backwater country station. BRU is coming back. Damn well better or I am going to riot.