Wednesday, March 15, 2006

And then there were three...

I had been thinking about answering the age-old question, "how many bikes does a person need?" My idea was to collect bikes until the wife started to ask questions. I know- there are plenty of people out there with bike collections in the double digits- even HIGH double digits, so I was not going for a record or anything, just trying to ascertain the wife's limitations.

The answer: 6.

Well- more like 5, I guess. I had loaned my old Cadex a little while back and decided that I did not really need to get it back (seeing as the frame is now twisted- it was an interesting design, though- no welds, bonded aluminum frame), so depends on whether you want to count that one or not...

After hitting the ceiling on bike ownership I decided to cull the pack- after all I can't ride more than one at a time, and found that really I was riding two of the an inordinate amount of the time.

So, Bald Boy Wonder bought my GT road bike that I had set up for triathalons (though his intention is to turn it back to a road bike, I believe):



Then, last weekend, I sold the GT iDrive Team bike to another friend. I loved this bike, as it climbed well for a full suspension bike. The problem was- I bought this purportedly to get the wife interested in mountain biking. Knowing that there was probably the same chance of her wanting to municycle as mountain bike, I hedged my bets and got a medium sized frame (she would fit a small, I would fit a large) so that I could ride it should her interest wane. Well, her interest waned on the first climb and it was too small for me to truly get comfortable on, so I decided to let it go:



The other bikes are safe for now. Specialized Team Festina for the road; and a GT Xizang hardtail and rigid steel Bianchi Single Speed for offroad. Hmmm... But what if two people come over looking to ride and neither has a bike? Maybe I should look into getting a replacement dual suspension mtn bike...

6 comments:

Bald Boy Wonder said...

Thanks for putting a picture of my bike online. I just added it to my desktop.

Crayons taste like purple said...

Have you taken off the aero bar and put the old shifters on yet?

Forty Oz2freedom said...

Shhhh! Don't tell Mrs. 40 there could be such a thing as too many bikes! We're already one of those couples that are into the double digits on bike ownership. One of them is "hers", two if you count the tandem.

Bald Boy Wonder said...

No, I have to get working on it. I just recently brought it out in my living room so I can look at it and work on it. I live in an apartment and work space is a bit limited. I also took my kayak out of living room and moved it out to the garage. It's been in the living room since x-mas when 40oz gave it to me. I've been sitting in it, drinking beer playing video games. For some reason, people make fun of me for this. What else would you do with a kayak in the winter?

Greased Up Deaf Guy said...

Bald - Can you post a picture of video game playing in said kayak? I'd be curious to see such multi-tasking.

Bald Boy Wonder said...

Unfortunately, I removed said kayak from said living room, but if I bring it back in for whatever reason, I will be sure to take pictures. I do have to design a beverage holder for the FARTAB trip. It would be real multi tasking if I could do beer drinking and video games while in the water.