Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Potatoes

Last year I planted potatoes. It was pretty satisfying to dig up and eat home-grown potatoes. Almost as much fun as clamming. The only drawback of traditional hilled-up-rows they take up alot of space, and you need to give the row a break from other plants for a year. That is a long time to have a bed sit idle for a garden that has something growing in every square foot all year long.

This year I'm trying to plant in Towers. I read about them here. I used leftover T111 from the shed project, and some 2x3 studs. The first comment people make about the garden is "Oh Man you should have used Pressure Treated!". Well, I know they don't use arsenic in PT anymore, but the new stuff still doesn't sound that much more appetizing. So, I'll let this wood just rot into the ground every 5 years and not worry about poisoning the family.

Supposedly you can grow 100lbs of spuds in 4 sq ft of space. I kind of doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

After telling everyone how great homegrown taters are, I convinced a couple other people to plant some this year. I had some extra seeds so I went over to CTLPs tonight to help setup their potato bins. They have enough room to plant in traditional rows, but we planted in bins. Here I am with my new tool, an Azada. Believe the hype... this is a great tool for digging and garden preparation. Beer is also great tool for digging and garden prep.

CTLP and his bin made from scrap wood found in the yard.
One week till FARTAB! Next thursday night we kick it off at B.R. with some riding, then to visit the owls for wings!

-40

1 comment:

Crayons taste like purple said...

BTW- now that the potato towers have tripled, I am wondering how many I am going to end up with! All are coming up, I just started adding dirt to the original one. Even the bonus compost potatoes are coming through well. Faboo... Thanks again!