Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Busy again.

This time of year things become a blur between getting ready for FARTAB, working on the garden, and work-work.

I tend to overdo things.

Instead of just building a couple more gardens this year, we converted the whole front yard.

Instead of trying to start some plants from seed, I decide I need to start everything from seed. Multiple varieties of plants, multiple plantings, and start some from friends too. When my sister came over and went on and on about how cheap already started plants where I thought, WTF, but whatever. I didn't waste a single minute of time tho, how are you going to learn how to start plants unless you practice?

And now, for FARTAB I've been scrambling to refurbish and heaviliy modify the original ibucket for a very specific FARTAB-a-rific mission. I just finished about ten minutes ago (12:45am) and have to say I'm pleased with it. It is fully functional, sounds decents, is still portable-ish, and looks like someone made it from recycled everything. Freaking Faaaaantastic.

So, without any order, here are the pics from the last week.

New raised bed. 3'wide, 16' long, dug down 1+ft, and built up 1 ft. That's alotta soil.


Just in time too. The middle bed is now full of early and over-wintered plants, the one of the right is 1/2 full. I'm going to try Square Foot Garden planting in this one. My sister, Mrs Kaptain got the book this winter, the theory makes sense! Here is where the potatoes were planted last year. We grew about 3 bushels here. I found a handful of bonus spring potatoes when I cleaned it up and turned in the winter mulch. They seem fine even though they were in hibernation all winter out there.

Next up, FARTAB, then it's time to plant the main garden. I'm going to try to grow corn for the first time... should be interesting!

1 comment:

Crayons taste like purple said...

The gardens are looking great... Hard work will be rewarded for sure.