Thursday, May 31, 2007

Too many projects...

I like to build stuff. Always have. I used to go down to my dad's workshop and take apart bikes etc and put them back together. Sometimes I couldn't get stuff back together, most of the time I could.

I inherited a wicked trait though... I start new projects before I finish the old ones. Right now I can't even count how many 'open' projects I have around here.

Just tonight I was out in the garage to build a *long* overdue batch of ibuckets for friends and family. Before I could start I had to move stuff off of the 'electronics' workbench. (Yeah, I have a few workbenches out in the shop... Electronics Bench, General Projects Bench, and Metal/Welding Bench...what? you don't?) Not a problem, unless you can't find anywhere to move the stuff to. No room on the other workbenches. No room on the shelves in the loft(including the shelves i never finished putting up), No room in the basement. I need to pick a room, de-clutter it, and then work from there i guess.

Moving recently didn't help. I have totes, milkcrates, cardboard boxes, tupperware containers, shoeboxes, milk jugs... you name it... absolutely full of tools, parts, and junk. And I think to myself... 'I freaking *moved* all this stuff here for a reason... and I have no idea why...' I swear sometimes it's an illness, pack-rat-a-titis. I'm sure there's some psychologist out there that's done studies on it.

Anyhow.. back to the point. Too many projects. Recently I started a "master list" of projects I want to do around here. (Making lists is another one of those things I obsess over, but thats fuel for another post...)

Now, some of these projects are so mundane as "Replace faucet" or "Split firewood", but man.. I swear I can't find the time to get to it. I have a friend who has rebuilt a 2 family up in Lowell.. Alone... in the time I still haven't finished restoring that old raliegh I posted about last year. It's not that I don't work constantly it seems... some nights i never even sit down when I get home from work .. just go change and go right back outside or into the garage. Other projects are pretty aggressive, like, replace windows on house, or stain house. Yeah right. I'll get to staining maybe by next summer.

I need to get organized, prioritize, and take a weeks vacation from work just to catch up one something... anything... at this point. Like, any of the million bike projects, house projects, boat projects, or even just cleaning out the garage.

Or, maybe I'll just wait till Fall when the weather's not so nice. :)

No comments: