Wednesday, May 09, 2007

5-Boro Part 2

So on this ride we saw a whole bunch of different bikes and people. Road, Mountain, Singlespeed, Fixies, 6 year olds on 12" bmx bikes, trikes, beach cruisers, tandems... seriously.. everything on two wheels. Here was a some recumbents leaving Astoria Park:


I even saw one guy riding a fixie with his son on a trail-a-bike.

Cruising through Brooklyn. Didn't see anyone from The Burg tho, no matter how many times I sang "My Humps".


BBW, easy to find on his classic pink Iron Horse:
I think one of my favorite parts of the ride was blasting down a closed highway with a ton of bikes on the way to Staten Island. I bet in 20 years this sight will be common when we're out of oil to feed the cars... Bikes as far as you could see:


Seriously we could have been rocking this part.... I got behind a tandem drafting a tandem. I wasn't pedaling at probably close to 25mph.

Up and over the Verazano(sp?) Narrows Bridge:
There was festival on a park on Staten Island at the end of the ride, and we needed to look for GUDG... we lost him somewhere around mid ride.
We found him in a couple of minutes at the lost kid table. Then we waited again just to leave the festival... then ride another 3 miles to the ferry landing. To freaking WAIT again. We must have waiting for an hour for the ferry.


When we finally got on board I struck out in search of some cerveza. I'm not a big fan of Heinikin, But it hit the spot after the ride. Statue of Liberty:

Heading towards Manhatten:

It was a looooooong day. After we got back to the car we had a two hour drive back to Naugatuck, then a 1.5 hour drive back to RI. Then GUDG had ANOTHER 45 minute drive back up to his house. 4:40 am till 11pm.

I think I'd do the ride again, but figure out how to get around all the freakin waiting and waiting..... and waiting. And, I'd definitely bring the ibucket for some entertainment etc.

So... maybe next year we can try it again.

The next couple of weeks are going to be pretty busy for the Fortys again. Lots of work-work, house work, school, and Snoopy is starting school tomorrow night too.

-40

1 comment:

Crayons taste like purple said...

I would have loved to have gone... Happy to hear that you all had a good time, despite the waiting. Perhaps my new bike part might make the waiting go by quicker in the future... Soon to come to a post on Pandapas soon...

Spaceman commeth!