Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Food for thought

GardenGirl's post and CTLPs record length comment reminded me I've been wanting to post this for a couple days:

Farming in Brooklyn

Until you've tried to grow your own food, it seems easy. Dig up dirt, stick some plants in the ground, and water. Well, at our old house I had experimented quite a bit with organic gardening in raised beds. The organic part is easy: Compost everything. Raised beds are a no brainer for increasing yields. But...even so its very tough to grow food. It's a skill that only recently was lost. My grandmother told me stories about raising chickens, rabbits, etc on their farm (early 1900s) so it's only been during the suburban explosion post WWII that these skills were lost.

Theres quite a bit going on these days with the local food movement. You've probably heard of the 100-mile diet, 30-mile diet, 'localvore'... etc. If not, Google. Supposedly the book "The Omnivore's Dilemna" lays this all out well, but I don't have a free minute to get to the library to check it out.

With the coming end of the oil age, food that travels 2000 miles in the back of a refrigerated semi grown using water from an ancient aquifer using industrial farming practices will no longer be an option. Then, driving 10 miles to the grocery store isn't going to happen either.

2 comments:

Bald Boy Wonder said...

That is a great article.

gardengirl said...

Hey guys...sorry this is also wordy. I'll get better...
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Mr. 40, your references to 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' have peaked my interest. Thanks for the tip. I enjoyed the article as well. Not ventured into canning yet, but some freezing of greens, etc.
Eating locally produced food is definitely the way to go, but it takes alot of effort in many ways. The food from the farm, depending on what it is exactly, does not last as long as produce I've purchased at the store for the most part. Best to eat it fresh or preserve. Lots of times, I actually plan out my meals like 2 days ahead so stuff doesn't go bad or I share with friends.
CTLP!! Yo! I'm totally into visiting the homestead and identifying said plant material. I welcome the opportunity.
P.S. I have tons of pallets from work if you need more.
Peace.