Sunday, April 19, 2009

First River Trip

Hey, I started today pretty early working in the garden. By lunch it was 76 degrees and figured it was time to take a break. I loaded up my new(to me) kayak and headed down to carolina. Since I hadn't planned ahead, I didn't have the ever-important shuttle back to a put-in. I started at carolina on 91 and paddled upriver for a while. There is plenty of water in the river right now with all the rain we had, and paddling upriver was a bit slow going. The new boat is pretty slow when you are slogging upstream, it is a full 4' shorter than the other kayak, so I'm not surprised it doesn't paddle as easy. After an hour or so i stopped for a cerveza, went swimming at a great spot for a rope swing, then turned around. It floats just fine downriver.It has a great cupholder, so it'll work great for FARTAB Vol 6. The ibucket fits on the back pretty well, and once i get the cockpit sorted out it'll be just fine. Its small/light enough that i can pick up the boat, the ibucket, paddle, etc up off the car and carry all of them down to the launch ramp in one trip, greatly speeding up the launch/retreival process. Yeaaaah.

There are still plenty of trout out there, and on this stretch of the river I saw zero fisherfolk. I really need to get a license asap and catch some.

I can't wait for FARTAB, May 15th!

5 comments:

Greased Up Deaf Guy said...

...you said cockpit...

Forty Oz2freedom said...

I snickered to myself when I said it.

Greased Up Deaf Guy said...

I think it gets better because you actually said, "once I get the cockpit figured out"....that's even better than just cockpit straight-up.

Bald Boy Wonder said...

I wish I had a cockpit to figure out...

Bald Boy Wonder said...

Ok, I just read that and it sounded wrong.

I'm trying to figure out how to say it in a way that doesn't sound like I want to change my boat from having a wheelhouse to a cockpit....and I can't figure it out. I give up.