Saturday, April 04, 2009

Beermuda Triangle workday #1

So we've got a good thing going out here in the beermuda triangle. We take turns going from house to house and work on projects. Last weekend we headed up to Northwest connecticut to help BBW move into his new 'crib'. I just realized I didn't take any pix last weekend.... Probably because there is no cell coverage, I didn't have my cellphone in my pocket all the time. It was a blast, but you'll just have to take my word for it. MIBBADAB (Move In Bald Boy And Drink Alotta Beers) was a success! (even if I am a little out of practice on the -ADAB part...) Mrs 40, Lil 40 (would that be a 22oz?) and I will take a road trip up there in the convertible before the summer so she can check it out herself.

Anyhow, back to work weekends: most jobs go much faster with a little help. Today we did some backhoe upkeep, chainsaw sharpening then some firewood harvesting over at the Flattires' compound. A couple monster trees too close to the house had been damaged during excavation for the new house, so they had to go. Here we are using their patented "Push it with the 'hoe and hope it doesn't hit the house" method for felling very large trees.

Before:

After... with the Double Deuce!
To give you an idea of the scale of the operation:
Unfortunately CTLP couldn't join us today because their house got struck by lightning last night, most likely wiping out the well pump and who knows what else! Time for some lightning rods, and whole house surge suppressors.

This morning while waiting to go to the dump I pulled the cold frame off the carrots and beets that I covered in leaf mulch last fall. They look fine! So, in this part of RI carrots and beets can survive a very hard winter in just mulch and a cold frame.


I planted some broccolli transplants out there in the cold frame today. Supposedly you can plant them outside now without any kind of protection, but I don't believe it. Wouldn't hurt to have some glass over them to protect from frost and wind.

Tomorrow, we're digging up the front yard to increase the amount of garden beds by about 100%. Finally should have enough room to grow corn! Sweeeeet.

More updates tomorrow.

-40

No comments: