Saturday, March 08, 2008

Parris Brook Whitewater!

During big rain storms the placid (and small) stream out behind the CTLP Ranch becomes a raging torrent of Class I rapids. Beautiful to behold, scary to attempt to tame. Hopefully the sarcasm made it through- it is not a big deal at all, but it is a blast to float down with the paddle over your head screaming, "Wheeeeee!" as Mrs. CTLP has so perfected.

Today after visiting the trifecta of town meeting places (the dump, Blueberry Hill for coffee and the fire station) and after stopping by Flat Tires to work on a fun-time hack job project (which unfortunately was stimied by the evil supply company not sending all the parts for assembly needed for the 'complete' unit as was purchased) I made it home to check on the stream. The water was high enough in the morning to kayak, and even though it was barely spitting out in the afternoon I was expecting it to be higher.

No such luck- instead it had retreated a little bit from the high water mark. But it was still just enough water to play in. So I gave 40oz a call in an attempt to pry him away from his garage cleaning duty to come over and shoot the rapids. I think it went something like this:


CTLP: Dude- the stream is high enough to boat. You wanna come over and give it a shot?

40: Uhhh... well... It is cold out and I kinda just started on the garage and Snoopy has been crated a lot today. I don't know if-

CTLP (interrupting) I have beer. And a flask. And kayaks. Why don't you blow off being productive and screw around?

40: You had me at 'beer'...


So it began. We donned our cold water gear (wetsuits were more than enough warmth), positioned the iBucket, beers and kayaks and started off.

The first attempt was rather... Unsuccessful... To be fair, 40 was making his first traverse on the stream and in my whitewater kayak (gift from my brother) which is REALLY small (tight fit for either of us) and touchy to steer. When he got slightly hung up on a rock I giggled then proceeded to t-bone his craft effectively pushing him off the rock and replacing his boat with my own. My spray skirt caved and I immediately swamped. Not quite what I was aiming for, but the bumper boat action was cool... If I could load video of that (or any other run) I would treat you to such wonderment. Perhaps I can figure that out later...

I was able to console myself in taking pictures of 40 clowning around while being totally oblivious of his inability to properly secure a life jacket:

It was a pretty fantastic Lyndie, though, and that contributed to my enjoyment...





After laughing and letting him in on the reason for my amusement, I took another picture- this time with proper, safe, lifejacket buckling:






The next few passes were great- we made our way down to the pond with Maggie running and splashing along the whole way. Then back up stream against the current where we took out and finished the stock of adult beverages we carted down for the trip.



The carnage



40 was unhappy with the fit of his gloves, and it took our combined power to free his hands. Once released he seemed quite pleased with the fact that his gloves had formed his favorite pose on their own:




We made a final pass before heading inside to warm up by the stove.




I am already looking forward to heading out again tomorrow as it is pouring out again. Seems like the peak always happens overnight, but I am guessing that if the rain keeps up it will still be a bunch of fun in the am.

Anyone up for it? Give me a shout if so...

No comments: