Thursday, December 13, 2007

Snoop-A-Loop! Bring Your Green Hat!

Ugg. It's coming early this year. I can't remember the last time we had snow before Christmas. This year it looks like we will. Lately I've been frustrated I didn't get more stuff done over the summer, and now I'm behind on house/yard projects. Not a good feeling. I've just about finished the last of the biggies. Tonight I stayed outside wiring, testing, etc, the plow rig on the old blazer we got from KungFooFish. I think i've learned my lessons tho.. on equipment that you rely on, its worth getting something that is not a project. This plow for example... Without it.. we would be S.O.L in a storm. However, It didn't work when i got it to bolt to the truck, and easily spent the amt of time getting it working that would have justified spending 2x as much. Or just getting a truck with a working plow. Owell...

The plow is done for now, as of 11:30pm tonight. The storm coming tomorrow shouldn't put a major stop to the rest of the jobs for the winter: I need to stack up some firewood, finish some inside projects, and get started splitting next years firewood. It's already cut up on top of the hill. I'm kicking aorund the idea of building a small solar powered firewood kiln for a 1/2 -1 cord at a time. Any moisture you can drive out of the wood using summer sun is the eq of free heat for the winter. Yup. I may build a 1/2 cord (a 48"cube) prototype this winter to try out the theory. I'm thinking a mini greenhouse... the specs would be similar to a passive solar house, suck in all the warm air from the sun as you can and circulate it around firewood. I've seen some articles about them.. even Vajanyatek (that's virginia tech) built one and published the plans on the web.

Other than that.. it's time to think about other indoor/garage friendly projects with the short days/sh*tty weather time of year. I'm dying to turn the bfb stuff into a recumbent. Or at least try it. If i can build a 8 ft long bike that can turn around on a dirt road and go 25mph.. i'll be thrilled.

Anyhow.. hope to see you guys soon. -40.

No comments: