Friday, July 20, 2007

Road Biking = Near Death Experience

So the other day I had to bike to the town hall using Rte 102. Not a risk I normally take, but truck is in the shop and I was pressed for time to get something notarized. In parts there is only 18" of shoulder. It amazes me that people don't slow down or even move slightly to the left despite there being no oncoming traffic. Truckers seem intent on seeing how close they can graze the left side of my head with those big protruding mirrors. Why is this, I ask the members of Pandapas? Is it;
1.) A dislike for bikers among the general public?
2.) A sense of entitlement to a road without bikers?
3.) Too lazy to alter the course of their vehicle by a few feet?
4.) So busy engaging in mindless chatter on their cell phone that they didn't see me?
5.) Envy turned to rage that I am out biking while they are stuck driving a truck for 50 cents a mile?
6.) other?
I guess it's the same reason that on 2 occassions when I've been riding down a local dirt road, a driver has passed me, then deliberately fishtailed the car back & forth so that he could look in the mirror and with great pleasure watch me choke on the dust. What is wrong with people.

Once when I was a kid I threw an egg at the mailman. Maybe this could be classified as a similar kind of behavior, but these are adults now, and the egg certainly didn't endanger anyone (before launching the egg, conditions allowed for a high level of confidence in my ability to land it above the waste & below the head). Even today I'd probably still throw an egg at any of the members of Pandapas, given the opportunity, but I certainly wouldn't deliberately put a road biker in danger.

We need a bikepath in this town. Where should it go & how should we do it & pay for it?

No comments: