Monday, August 21, 2006

Why Aluminum Sucks

I went riding the week before last with GUDG, CTLP, FlatTiresFink, and the Doctor.... I was feeling pretty good, and had just converted my bike back to a 9speed. Instead of our usual loop, CTLP and I convinced everyone to take a ride up Mt Tom. I fell twice before we even got there, then I biffed it a couple more times scrambling over rocks. The last time after i fell I sat back down and the seat post fell off the bike!



Now, I would usually say that this is a fluke, that i didn't have my seatpost far enough into the frame(which admittedly I didn't). Except, I have a SECOND, Raleigh M80 in my basement with a broken frame. In the same place. CobraKai busted one last year. Yup.

Here's my three word blurb about why aluminum sucks: Finite Fatigue Life. A fatigue failure is what happens when you bend a paper clip back and forth until it breaks. Steel is much easier to use for a frame to prevent failure.

RAMHADAB was only three weeks away, and I was crushed my bike was busted. I went on ebay to find another frame, any frame. I found a black Surly Karate Monkey, 18" frame. It was built up as a single speed, perfect for me. So, I put in a bid and won! Whoo Hooo!

I pestered the seller into shipping on Monday, and got the bike on Friday! I swapped my seat over, changed gearing a bit, and rode it a ton this weekend. Two ghettotrack rides out to Stump Pond, one long dirt road/road ride on Sunday(it had poured the night before so no singletrack sunday).

So far i'm digging the 29" wheels through loose trails, but they aren't nearly as swoopy on the bumps. Check it out... this is out at Stump Pond:



Don't forget, RAMHADAB is now less than two weeks away. The official beer sponsor has been selected from a large pack of hopefuls. Don't worry if you haven't been riding much... nobody has except for maybe Bald Boy Wonder. Most of us can barely ride 50 feet without stopping for a beer so... don't sweat it... it's going to be one of *those* rides.

No comments: